The following is a white blood cell chasing a bacterium. It eventually ends up swallowing it. The following white blood cell is specifically a neutrophil. They end up ingesting the microbe a process known as phagocytosis.
People have offered many potential explanations for this discrepancy, but this ad highlights the importance of the social cues that push girls away from math and science in their earliest childhood years.
Watch the powerful Verizon advertisement to really understand what a little girl hears when you tell her she’s pretty.
This is so important. Girls pay attention. Boys, if you are a brother, father, cousin of a girl, pay attention.
I’ve always loved science. I’ve wanted to be a dentist since I was 3. My cousin married a biochemistry professor and they bought me a microscope for being the flower girl in their wedding. I was bullied in grammar school for getting excited about science. In high school, people basically told me I wasn’t a good enough scientist so I should stop trying. I didn’t actually start believing in my abilities until 2 years ago when I dropped the last of my shit friends. I erased every bit of self doubt residue in the corner of my mind. I could never see myself doing anything besides science, but it sucked to have jerks telling you that you’re not smart enough to pursue what you love.
I actually ran into one of my grammar school bullies in the Shop Rite Liquor store. He tried to make a conversation with me. The entirety of it was: “So what are you up to now?” “I’m about to graduate college with a degree in biology. I’m contemplating med/dental/grad school. I can’t pick. I like all the opportunities I have.” “Oh, cool. I just work here.”
So I think it’s EXTREMELY imperative to encourage girls to do what they love, especially if it’s science. If they don’t like it in a few years that’s fine. They’ll find something else. At least they weren’t told not to. The world needs more people passionate about learning and helping others learn.
(Source: youtube.com, via molecularlifesciences)
In this African tribe, when someone does something harmful, they take the person to the center of the village where the whole tribe comes and surrounds them.
For two days, they will say to the man all the good things that he has done.
The tribe believes that each human being comes into the world as a good. Each one of us only desiring safety, love, peace and happiness.
But sometimes, in the pursuit of these things, people make mistakes.
The community sees those mistakes as a cry for help.
They unite then to lift him, to reconnect him with his true nature, to remind him who he really is, until he fully remembers the truth of which he had been temporarily disconnected: “I am good.”
NABAJYOTISAIKIA, is a compliment used in South Africa and means: “I respect you, I cherish you. You matter to me.” In response, people say SHIKOBA, which is: “So, I exist for you.”
(Source: enigmatic-being, via roydashme)
Chicken souvlaki, wild rice, Kentro fries. 💣.com (at Kentro Greek Kitchen)
Tennising. (at Walnut Ranch Park)
Snap me your no0dz: jerck212
Work çelfie just cuz it’s a beautiful day outside! #microbiologylife (at Harbor-UCLA Laboratory)
i was tagged by 10taileddragon
1. the proudest fact I can share about myself is my career. Im a clinical laboratory scientist, currently working as a microbiologist. If you asked me as a kid if i could ever picture myself doing what i do now, id probably admit that i had no idea this job existed. but at this point in my life, im really proud to say that im doing exactly what i want to do, and working in a job that makes me happy =)
2. i love watches. probably one of my guiltiest pleasure. i kinda like clothing and accessories in general, but watches are one of the few things I’d spend money on.
3. i love starbucks, not just for their drinks but for the environment. i have a favorite sbux here back home and whenever im exhausted from work, I head straight there and every now and then, a familiar face greets me over the counter, and it just brightens up my day =)
4. i dont date often, but asking me for coffee is probably the easiest way to get me to go.
5. i do a lot of things for people i like, but once youve crossed a boundary, things just wont be the same anymore. you wont be the same anymore. i wont be the same anymore.
6. im sick. will you sing me soft kitty? (and maybe massage vaporub on my chest?)
i tag: eeyaaann, miahchua, wiisnaww, blowfysh, arekkusuorei, thamado
was supposed to tag 10, but eff it. lol i just went down my message box and bam. most recent human beings ive made contact with.
Tagged by miahchua
1. What’s your name? JR Caldera.
2. When’s your birthday? July 04.
3. Where are you from? West Covina, CA.
4. Have a crush? meh. i mean… meh. no, not really.
5. What’s your favorite color? blue.
6. Write something in all caps? I’M SICK (IN WAYS MORE THAN ONE).
7. Got a favorite band/artist? currently Sam Smith (obsessed actually, so if you take me to a concert, you can be my #4).
8. Favorite number? 2.
9. Favorite drink? cocktail? im kinda known to go with vodka tonic. sbux? 1pV, 1pR, 4pCl, br, iced coffee. or a simple iced green tea latte will do, too.
10. Tag 10: denvyatled, novisinitiis, davidhelladope, thtkidluiz, anti-evolution-eevee, sydney-side, miko31096, sciart360, shikataganai, brandello
kinda just tagged the last 10 people ive made contact with via tumblr. been procrastinating on these things. but i guess im awake now.